Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Wnter Blooms

Today is the start of week 2 of the Frilly and Funkie challenge which I am hosting. At this time of year there's not much colour in the gardens so I chose the theme of Winter Blooms. So this is an opportunity to create your own flowers! I've been enjoying working with metal again recently so thought I'd create a metal winter bloom !


I picked up a couple of those little canvases that come with a wooden easel. I was intending on making a pair, which is why you can see two in the above photo. I painted them with heavy black Gesso and while it was still wet I pressed a piece of card onto the Gesso and pulled it off. It creates the most fabulous texture!


When the Gesso was dry I then painted the canvas with Luminarte Silk paints.


I then die cut three flowers from metal using the Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers die. I used metal working tools to emboss the metal. Then I used Alcohol Inks on the metal before layering the pieces up (which you'll see in a later photo.)


I then stuck some Ranger Foil to some black card then die cut some leaves using the Tim Holtz Spring Greenery strip die. Then I used a teflon tip metal working tool to add some leaf veins.


I used Lettuce and Stream Alcohol inks and dabbed them over the leaves.


I die cut the letter S from cardboard using the WordPlay die and stuck it to another piece of cardboard. I then stuck a piece of Ranger Foil over the tape and defined the letter using a paper stump and the teflon tip tool. I added some detail to the background of the letter before using Alcohol inks again.


I wanted to frame the letter and used one of the beautiful little  Prima frames and painted it with a mixture of Luminarte Silk paints.


I then assembled all the pieces onto the canvas. It was a bit tricky getting a good photo, metal is way too shiny !


I shaped the petals of the flower and stuck the leaves behind it.


Before I glued the frame to the letter piece I rubbed black Stazon ink over the letter to define it. You can see the detail I added to the metal foil around the letter on the above photo. I painted the easel black and then glued the canvas in place.

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and make sure you hop over to the Frilly and Funkie blog and check out the rest of the DT's fabulous projects !

13 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE this Sue! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stunning make Sue. Love the background textures and your flowers and frame are beautiful.

    Very inspiring

    Tfs
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Sue, you never stop wowing me with your gorgeous creations! What a stunning flower and I love that little frame with the monogram! A wonderful piece!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous effect this has made to your canvases Sue. The blooms is stunning and the colour is perfect. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous and I love when you make metal flowers that they always have their own unique look.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This is stunning! Love that framed letter! Such a great detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Sue, your big flower is stunning and I do love that Prima frame - gorgeous! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A stunning project Sue, love the metal work.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is spectacular! I never think to use metal with my dies, your beautiful creation is an amazing example of how I better change my thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely GORGEOUS!! Enjoyed this post so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply brilliant - the texture added to the metallic petals and leaves adds so much, and the rich colours are glorious.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful metal work and use of alcohol inks, gorgeous sumptuous colours...a stunning dinky project! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!