Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Stencil it !

It's time for the new challenge over at Country View Crafts and for the next month we want to see you using your stencils. As you've probably guessed, I love stencils ! So, as it was my choice for the challenge this month I couldn't resist !


I've had a Finnabair journal since last year and never got around to doing anything with the cover so thought this would be the perfect opportunity ! I started by taking the covers off the journal and then used one of Lin Brown's stencils and some Grunge Paste.


Unfortunately, that's where the step by step photos stop as I got carried away ! I painted the covers with Bora Bora Fresco finish paint and then did some more stencilling with another Lin Brown stencil and Snowflake Fresco Finish. I gave the cover a wash of South Pacific Fresco Finish then used the Prima Checker stencil with Inky Pool FF. I used a baby wipe to add a further layer of South Pacific and then used another Prima stencil with Chutney FF. I then added more layers of South Pacific and Inky Pool. I then used the TCW Bingo stencil with French Roast and then Olive Vine Luminarte Silk Paint and painted a coat over the Fresco Finish paints.



I then painted some Pumpkin Soup FF around just the flower heads and used a baby wipe to blend the paint. I also painted some more Olive Vine Luminarte Silk over the stalks and leaves and used the same baby wipe to blend this paint too. To add more definition to the stems I used my Porfolio pastels and drew along the stalks and blended the pastel over the cover.


I replaced the stencil and then brushed some Renaissance Treasure Gold over the flower heads. I also added some stamping using a PaperArtsy script stamp with Potting Soil Archival ink. I snipped the shank off a metal button and then glued it on top of the metal stud. The words are from the Wendy Vecchi Approved Art stamp set and I've used Portfolio pastels to add some definition underneath both of them.


I didn't alter the back cover at the same time as the front, so when I came to do it I didn't quite match the colours, but I still like it !

I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and look forward to seeing what you get up to with your stencils !


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful texturing with the stencils, lovely colours and a great challenge to choose xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this,fab colours and texture.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally stunning Sue! All those layers of paint add so much depth to your piece, the result is simply stunning! This is such a great challenge theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Sue, wonderful texture and dimension. Love the stencilling and colours. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a fantastic project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a transformation! From blah to a gorgeous piece of art on this cover! LOVE the colors and all the stamping in the background! Gorgeous flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome journal book covers, the colours and textures look fabulous.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious, Sue - the perfect time to get those covers done - and how beautiful they look! As a fellow stencil fan, I would've loved to play this time - but scheduling is scheduling!! Great theme, and I bet there'll be some fabulous entries.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous cover, such depth, wonderful use of stencils Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sue,
    Great palette of the warm inviting Green, perfect for a journal cover. Great texture paste flowers too.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sense of depth and colourwork is amazing Sue. Another fabulous work of art which is totally droolworthy! Brilliant! Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Stenciling and creating... love the COLORS you have used on this Journal... favorites of mine too... love, Light and Peace..Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!