Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Recycling at Frilly and Funkie !

We've zoomed through another 2 weeks which means it's time for the next challenge over at Frilly and Funkie. There were loads of fabulous entries into the 'I'll take your word for it' challenge, make sure you check back on Monday to find out if you've won ! Remember, it's still a great time to do some shopping in the Funkie Junkie Boutique with the 50/50 offer on shipping if you spend over $75 until the 30 April. Even if you're in the UK it's still worth picking up some goodies, it's easy to pay with PayPal and your parcel won't take much over a week to reach you.

So, onto the new challenge which has been set by the lovely Anita and here is what she would like you to do:

We all live on Mother Earth and have to do our part to keep her healthy, not just on Earth Day but always. As paper crafters it's very important not to waste much. For this challenge, use at least two repurposed items to create an upcycled paper project, and don't forget to list what they are. Extra kudos to you if you can depict Mother Earth in some way as well.

I hope you're sitting comfortably as this is a bit of a long post ! Maybe a good idea to have a cuppa and chocolate too !


I'm always on the look out for bits and pieces that I can rescue and use on a craft project, so when I saw this challenge I had a rough idea what I wanted to do. The 2 things that I have recycled are, tissue wrapping that my goodies came in from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique and some plastic ideaology packaging from Tim Holtz's Type Charms. With all of my projects I always start with the background, so the first thing I did was to use Old Paper Distress Stains on the canvas so it wasn't so clean and white ! Then, I took the tissue wrapping and I used my Pan Pastels and Versamark ink with a stencil. I then stamped onto it with Coffee Archival ink and blended Vintage Photo DI around the edge. You can't actually see much of it, which is always the way things seem to happen with my crafting ! Then I used Artistic Outposts Ephemera Background stamp and stamped onto white card and also onto Crinoline. The two young girls are also from an Artistic Outpost set called Birds of a Feather. I stamped them first then masked them off and stamped the Post Card stamp, from the Ephemera set, over the top.

The small canvas has also been given the Old Paper Distress Stains treatment and then the egg stamp from the Birds of a Feather set has been stamped onto card that I've blended DI over and used the Spritz and Flick technique on too. The cage has been stamped onto watercolour paper and I used Aged Mahogany and Gathered Twigs DI to stamp it and then I cut it out. The Birds of a Feather text is stamped onto a Tattered Banners die cut and then I've blended DI around the edge and added the 2 wings from the metal collection from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique. The little key is also from the same collection. The piece of ribbon at the side of the small canvas is a piece of the Tim Holtz ribbon and I've rubbed Aged Mahogany DI over the top.


The clock is a Kaisercraft Wooden Flourish and I've rubbed DI over it then I tried to do the rusted enamel technique, but I think I need a different embossing powder, mine is too fine so the effect isn't as visible.


The flowers are all cut using the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die and the Mini Tattered Florals die. I've cut the majority from Crinoline that I've dyed using Antique Linen re-inker which I've spritzed with water. I was aiming for a lighter colour than how they've turned out, but I kind of like the darker, grungier colour. I cut one large flower from the Ideaology plastic packaging and then used Alcohol inks on it. I cut the leaves from the same packaging and used Alcohol inks on them too. I love how the plastic becomes really pliable when you heat it and if you don't like the shape you can just re-heat it and start again ! The gorgeous metal heart and little flowers are from the vintage metal collection from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique, I added a little blob of Sepia Glossy Accents to the centre of the flowers. The branch is cut using the Tim Holtz Holly die and I've cut it from corrugated cardboard. The robin is from the Artistic Outpost Birds of a Feather set, stamped with Coffee Archival ink. The buttons are from my stash.

I'm also entering this project into the following challenges:
I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and look forward to seeing what you can find to recycle !





30 comments:

  1. Wow!! this is amazing ...love all the wonderful detail on it, and the earthy colours are wonderful. Thanks for joining in the MAWTT challenge this week, its a Super entry xx
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - Sue - that's a breathtaking card, so many wonderful elements. Really an eye catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sue, stunning piece, I love how you have layered all the elements and I love your use of the AO image. Fabulous layout too. Gorgeous. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Chalkenge. Tracy xc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for entering this beautiful piece into the ARTISTIC OUTPOST referral theme too Sue. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, this is fantastic, I adore your layered projects and the stunning backgrounds you create, the rusted clock definitely looks lovely and rusty to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, your canvas piece is beautiful! I love the Artistic Outpost stamps that you've used on this. They are wonderful! I also love your color scheme and your pops of the reddish accent color here and there. Love the rusted clock and all of the other elements you've used and layered to create such a beautiful project. Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowser Sue!!! fab as always :) lainey x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Sue, this is awesome. I fell in love with it when I saw it on the DT blog! The colors are wonderful and give it such a great vintage feeling. Your crinoline flowers are shabbily terrific and I always love the die cuts from the acrylic packaging! Such a super collection of textures and embellishments. Thanks for producing such beautiful art for F&F!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sue - just stunning! SO many wonderful details to look at! Love the collage if images and panels! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Artistic Outpost!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! this is So beautiful Sue !! what a wonderful layout. I love the gorgeous stamps, papers and embellishments - so many wonderful details - I love it!
    Thanks for joining us at MAWTT for my Shabby Chic/Vintage theme and good luck in the Challenge!
    Hope you are well
    Big Hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Sue, your canvas is stunning! I love the way you've aged everything and how you dyed the flowers. Those tiny metal wings on the sentiment/banner are a really neat touch, as is the corrugated branch! Totally cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. waouh! amazing project so full of details, love it
    thanks for playing with us at stamptacular sunday this week
    hugs
    céline

    ReplyDelete
  13. O.M.W, Sue. You have incorporated so many wonderful elements here, I am speechless.
    It is stunning :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEAUTIFUL project Sue, loving all the vintage colour hues & layers, brilliant. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue, what a beautiful project! Wonderful colours and amazing embellishments.

    Love the vintage feel it has and well done you for the recycling!!

    Thanks for joining in with us this week at Divas by Design.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous Sue! So many neat details! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb Sue, more gorgeous inky layers with great textures and images.
    Hope your week is going well.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sue, this really is one eye catcher! Beautiful layers and so many lucious details! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely fabulous - every time I look at it I find something new with the great layering and embellishments. Thanks so very much for joining us at the Stamptacular Sunday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me at 'lovely'!!! ;0) This is absolutely lovely...the layers are gorgeous and I love how you repurposed your items....wonderful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely incredible. Wow!! I could stare at it for ages. Fantastic work!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card Sue!!! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg!!! What an amazing card!!! So much beauty to look at!! Love the colors and lovely embellies! Thanks for joining my challenge over at The Cupcake Craft Challenge this week! Good luck! Hugs and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. so gorgeous..luv what you have done!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this and think it is absolutely fabulous!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Wow!!! I don't need to tell you how absolutely beautiful this is!!! I am joining your blog and will come back for more relaxed visits....will definitely need a cuppa for this I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Sue. Wow this is stunning with lots to see. You have put in a lot of work/detail in to this and the outcome is definitely worth it. Good luck in your challenges and thank you for sharing ....Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just so gorgeous hun...and thanks for joining us at Divas too :o)

    big hugs Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your creation sweetie thanks for playing at Divas hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful creation. I love all the details :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!